Saturday, October 18, 2008

Piece of Cake

So, last weekend I accomplished something I've never done before, an 18 mile run. Previous to that, the longest I had run was 16 miles (accidentally while training for a half). My good friend, Diana - who is training for Boston and humoring me by running with me for her base training, sent me the link from her Garmin and I freakin rocked it! 21 second pace faster than my 16 mile week. Holy crap. How the f did I do that? My 16 miler was absolutely horrible. I was in so much pain at the end, I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. No matter what I did; stretch, sit, stand...I hurt. I felt like my calves were going to seize up on me at any moment. Eventually of course, it went away. But none the less, I was really worried about my 18 miler and expected the worst. I was driving down to Portland to see my hubby for the weekend so I wasn't able to run with my Saturday morning group. Fortunately, Diana was there to save the day and offered to run with me Friday. Her being the veteran and myself, the newbie, she picked the course. Now, I'm sure you have all heard about the terrain in the pacific northwest. It is very hilly. Very hilly. But in the town of Gig Harbor, it is mountainous. Ok, not really but you literally can't run a mile without a change in elevation. And most of these are not just small hills, but significant climbs. Oyvay. We ran a gorgeous course will beautiful country roads, surrounded by leaves falling breathtaking colors. We ran for almost 31/2 hours in which time we managed to reorganize the IRS, banking system, and our political process. Now, if only we could figure out a way to become elected officials, without having to run for office...... Elevation Gain/Loss: 5,382 ft / 5,373 ft. So, Seattle should seem like a piece of cake right. Everything that I have read about marathon training tells me not to pick a time goal, just make my goal to finish. But all the runners I know always ask, what is your time. So, I have picked a time. 41/2 hours. I think that's reasonable. This morning I have an 8 miler on the schedule. Another piece of cake. I am really loving my long run schedule. 14, 8, 12, 8, 16, 8, 18, 8, 20, 8, 22, taper...

No comments: