Saturday, May 2, 2009

Long Run

Well, relatively long run - 9 miles which is a long run by my standards of having not run this far since November. It was a good success. I tried to pick a route that had less hills so that I could really concentrate on keeping my pace even. Total miles: 9.0/10:16 av. pace elevation gain: 2,031 feet I also took my first ever ice bath. I know some of you are probably rolling your eyes at an ice bath after only a 9 miler, but I just wanted to do it. I am still very paranoid about getting re-injured. It was awful at first, but I just kept telling myself, "It's for a good cause." Funny saying for the situation I think. I don't know how I came up with that but it suits me. 10 minutes and I was out. Let my body come back up to temp for about 10 more minutes then hot shower. I admit, my legs feel great now (about 2 hours later). The IT band was pretty tight around mile 6, but overall pretty good now. A few more love making sessions with the foam roller today and and day off tomorrow - should be good to go. Also, tomorrow I am volunteering at the local half/full marathon. It should be interesting since I have never volunteered at a race. Maybe I'll post a "volunteer race report". Lastly, I know there are a ton of you racing this weekend. Good luck! I know you'll all do great with all the awesome training that has been had. Can't wait to read all the race reports.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

Great job on your first long run back! I give you props for being able to do the ice bath. I can't bring myself to do it yet.

KK said...

Great job (on your long run and then ice bath (I for one was NOT rolling my eyes). I have yet to try that ice bath thing but people swear by it-sounds like you did a smart thing. There's nothing worse than being injured. Well an empty glass of wine is pretty bad :).

Missy said...

Hey, protect yourself, I say - put on a hate and sweatshirt while you're in the tub and drink hot tea. It helps!

Anonymous said...

It must have felt so good to get the long run out of the way. Now you know you are back to building up mileage again. Nice job jumping in with the icebath too.

Kristen said...

I iced after a 5 miler Monday - ice is always good for the legs!

I would love to read about your volunteering. Pls post!

Amy said...

I wasn't rolling my eyes either. I bet I'll do it too b/c I'll be paranoid of re-injury like you. Sounds like it paid off!!!!!! Great job on the long run!!!!

Alisa said...

9 miles is long especially with elevation of 2000+! I think elevation 70+ is hard for long runs.

Great job!