Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I am so....

...glad I did NOT talk myself out of skipping my workout this morning. The alarm went off at 4:03 (what can I say, I like setting it for weird ass times) and I was full of reasons why I didn't need to get out of bed, go for a swim at such a gawd-awful time and then do a spin workout. But after about 20 minutes I started to feel like a loser and got up. I am soooo glad I did because I had an awesome swim and then an even better spin workout. First - the swim. Since I only had about 45 minutes I knew I didn't have enough time to do the full workout I had planned (plus I was an idiot this morning and forgot it) so I just did a quick warm-up and then I was going to do a few sets of 300. Once I started my first set, it took me a while to warm up, but then about 150m into it, my stroke was smooth and strong. I literally couldn't stop myself. I have no idea how much I ended up doing but it was way more than 300. The reason behind this flawless swim: I swear it's because I shaved last night. Ok, I can hear the laughter in my own head but seriously, I am smooth - too bad the hubs is gone. What a waste of a good shave job. Second - the spin. The same spim instructor I had Friday, Brian, and he rocks!! I am defniantly going to be working Wed. spin into the routine. I found out the details: Wed spin is intervals and Fri spin is a smooth cadence with longer sets of speeds. I forgot to wear the garmie to check on my heart rate, but it was up there. Probably around 180-190 the majority of the time. Seriously lactic. Thanks Brian. So after a killer swim and spin I am considering working a triathlon into the mix this summer. I have done three so far (well, technically two because my first one was during a hurricane storm in Virginia Beach and they had to cancel the swim - and it was the craziest bike I have ever done). The other two have both been Xterra off-roads. I don't even own a road bike and I am not considering buying one. I would use the mtb if I did one. Why not? As long as I did it, say in June, before my PM (portland marathon) training kicks up a notch. Something to think about.

10 comments:

Chic Runner said...

Wow! Hardcore! Way to get up and get after it! :)

X-Country2 said...

You were hardcore after the 4:03 part.

Alisa said...

I set my alarm for weird times too...5:02 is it's current setting.

Great job on the workouts. I am hoping to run and maybe spin or do serious weights tomorrow. Swim maybe friday...the flu is now a head cold and swimming with a head cold pretty much sucks.

Do a Tri!!! I wanna do one this summer. I'd be on hybrid bike.

Kristen said...

GREAT job getting up at 4 am AND doing 2 workouts.

You can totally do a tri on a mt. bike. I would say 1/3 of the people who did the tri I did were on mt. bikes. It doesn't matter.

Jocelyn said...

Great job! One thing I've learned is that it doesn't get any easier to get out of bed, so whats one hour earlier.
YOU GO GIRL!! Nothing like that feeling of a great work out

Aron said...

WOOOOW 4am!!! I always set my alarm for random times too :)

GREAT JOB!

FLATOUT JIM said...

I hate early morning mowkouts. My mind is awake, but my body is still in a slumber.

4:00 is insane! I am up at 5:30 to be at work for 6:30. I workout at lunch. I am starting to wake up by then.

jen said...

Great workouts!!

I definitely think you should do another tri this summer, and your Mtn bike would be fine. :)

Amy said...

Oh, that would be so great! Sounds like you're right on target with all your training.

TONS of people do triathlons with mtn bikes. And, if you've done a hard core Xterra a regular tri will seem like a breeze, even on your mtn bike.

PS- 4:03am?! I am impressed. You are nuts, but that is definitely inspiring! Mine's set for 5:06!

N.D. said...

Haha, I am always setting my alarm for weirdo times. I can't just do 4:00 or 5:00, etc. Great job getting up - you always feel better when you do and your workouts seemed to be kickin!!